With 2018 at an end, here’s a look at some of my favourite hobby projects in the last year and what they taught me.
I’d been meaning to get a large, centrepiece for my Stormcast Eternals for some time. The Star Drake was a present to myself for finishing the first draft of my latest novel. The red matches the other dracoths in the army but I also went for a white belly to add some contrast. I rarely plan painting, instead I just do what seems interesting at the time. I’m pleased with the overall result. Edge highlighting each scale through lighter red into orange was a lesson in patience, but the main learning was not to glue the wings on before painting if I get any more.
You can find a tutorial for the rider’s aged bronze armour here.
Big was definitely a theme this year. My Imperial Knights were bolstered by 2 Armiger Warglaives, a Knight Warden and Knight Castellan. Instead of using transfers on my knights, I tend towards using the space for some freehand. The rest of my knights follow an elemental theme (Thunderclad and Fireclad) so the lightning-themes Castellan became Ionclad while the Warden became Tidalclad.
Here’s my earlier tutorial on painting lightning effects.
My Horus Heresy (mostly) Salamanders project finished last year. I used these to practice blending and non-metallic metal effects, mostly on the green of the armour. That went quite well. Even if the blends aren’t flawless, and the lighting could be better, I can get there much faster having painted a whole army that way. Having finished the project, most of these are on their way to eBay/trading pages to make space for the next project.
The next project is a Primaris force of Dark Angels which will be turning up in a future blog. Feel free to leave a comment with any questions. I’m interested to read what you’ve been working on (link away).